Monday, August 15, 2005

Gratitude: 200-Some Days

Scott wrote this in his blog entry for this "tag" thingy that's been going around:
1 Year Ago: 269 days of sobriety. Not working. Just enjoying being sober. Working the steps. Here is my gratitude list from that day:
08.14.04
  • For 269 days of getting more than I expected
  • ...
  • To, day after day, sit with those whose greatest wish is that we all succeed
  • That everyone who comes into the rooms makes us stronger
  • That hope, given enough respect, becomes a comfortable reality
  • To improve on not judging by appearance
  • For those stronger than me who let me hold their hand
  • That when I am not thinking of God I need not worry because God is always thinking of me
  • For growing pains

Wow! I'm a big fan of Scott's gratitude lists, and this one really resonated. A year ago, Scott had 50 or so more days of sobriety than I do now. This list articulates, better than I can, a lot of things I am grateful for today.

A year later, you can see so much more depth and richness in Scott's daily gratitude lists -- reflecting, I think, the depth and richness of his program, his sobriety and his life. I daresay he seems less surprised by his sobriety today, he enjoys his life thoroughly today, and the little undercurrent of fear I detect in this list is completely absent today.

It gives me hope and optimism to see so much of myself in where Scott was just a year ago. He's one of the guys who has what I want. It inspires me to recommit myself, once again, to sobriety, surrender, faith in my Higher Power, humility, service and responsibility, so that my life may be as rich and happy as Scott's is today.

5 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 07:32:00 AM, Blogger dAAve said...

Your perception is right on.
Scott is one of my best friends. I met him in the rooms of AA soon after we both got sober.

He IS an inspiration to everyone with whom he comes into contact. Now, I know that he will read this, so Scott, you now need to fix my Mom's last drawer.

 
At 8/18/2005 08:12:00 AM, Blogger Scott W said...

You are too kind.

 
At 8/18/2005 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Andy Ternay said...

It has been a while since I have done a gratitude list... maybe time for one! Thank you and thanks to Scott.

 
At 8/19/2005 02:49:00 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I love sobriety!

 
At 8/19/2005 04:57:00 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Grateful list are awesome. I'm grateful for Scott and Dave and you all the time...just in case I forget to mention it.
Peace,
JJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home