Saturday, March 12, 2005

Red Meat

I'm plugging another blog. RootsRadical is the real deal about recovery from alcoholism in AA. This post says a lot about him. He's coming up on his first AA birthday, he has a great new job, things are going very well for him. This is a potential minefield of complacency: "Gee, my life is really good... I'm happy... maybe I'm not really like... maybe I can cut back on... maybe there would be no harm in... "

Instead, Roots reflects on the folly of relapse. He remembers where he was a year ago, he remembers where alcohol took him, and warns himself (and me) what alcoholism does to us. He notes the location of the slippery slope, and chooses to walk away from the abyss again today.

This is AA without compromise, without apology, without excuses. Roots is the guy who grabs your lapels after the meeting and tells you what you need to hear. A crusty oldtimer, after just a year.

"If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it," Roots can give you help along your way. This the red meat. (So to speak!)

7 Comments:

At 3/13/2005 09:40:00 AM, Blogger Recovery Road London said...

I'm speechless. And that doesn't happen too often.

Thank you.

:-)

Kenny
aka RootsRadical

 
At 3/14/2005 05:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this is what they call metablogging, or critical mass, or just cool, but I found RECRUM on my referral page at Sitemeter. Then when I visited you I found a link to my blog. So I linked to yours. Then I found your RootsRadical summary and visited it and linked to it, too. Then I come here to thank you for linking to me and find the thank you note from Radical. Anyway, nice to be "in the shit" with you all. Congratulations on your sobriety, and Go with God. It works, it really does, right? LWS

 
At 3/14/2005 07:07:00 AM, Blogger Phil said...

LilRed -- Thanks for the encouragement!

LWS -- Thanks for your comment! Your blog is regular reading for me. Thanks for helping to keep me sober.

 
At 3/14/2005 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Phil said...

DoughGirl, once again, you hit the nail on the head! I agree with every word.

Except maybe not the "brutal" part... Well, yeah, I guess I have to go along with "brutal." LOL

 
At 3/15/2005 01:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations from Portugal :) Keep going! Kisses :)

 
At 3/15/2005 01:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations from Portugal :) Keep going! Kisses :)

 
At 3/15/2005 08:31:00 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Obrigado, Carla!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home