Sunday, February 27, 2005

Gratitude

A great big THANK YOU to Kenny, Doughgirl, Grace, Trinker, and Logan for your comments and emails! You are like an online meeting for me, your support and encouragement, your experience, strength and hope, your gentle butt-kicks, give me what I need to stay sober. God bless you!

------------------

If you are someone reading this who thinks you may have a drinking problem, may be an alcoholic, not too sure, maybe just a little doubtful your drinking is under as much control as you think it should be -- yes, YOU!! -- please read what these fine people have to say in their blogs. You will find that one of them, some of them, or all of them have something to say that resonates, that expresses things you do and ways you feel.

If you are in despair, lonely, suicidal, or are certain you are the only one in the world crazy enough to be in the hopeless fix you're in because of your drinking, then read what these fine people have to say. You are not alone! They are just a handful of the many people who know exactly how you feel and can show you a way to live without having to drink.

Here's the only commitment I ask of you: before you close this page, just click on one of the links in the first paragraph above, and see if that writer has something you want.

2 Comments:

At 2/28/2005 05:46:00 AM, Blogger Recovery Road London said...

Nice post Phil. I like your words.

One of the things that helped me in those first agonising days, and the painful weeks and uncomfortable first six months (see folks, it gets easier gradually) was the knowledge that I didn't have to identify with everyone and their story.

Different people bring different things to the meetings. But it would be very strange if someone who was 'trying' AA didn't find a single soul that they could get indentification from.

Every meeting I go to, there are usually a number of people who, when they share ('talk at a meeting' for non-AA-ers) I can go "Yup. Know that one/been there/done that/felt that".

..and if people try AA and it's not for them, then that's okay. They either don't have a problem with booze (and I wish them well), or if they do have a problem with booze but don't want what we have, then that's okay too. We'll refund your misery on the way out of the door.

Phew.

A long comment I'm afraid, but you hit the spot, Phil!

warm wishes in Fellowship

Kenny

 
At 2/28/2005 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Grace said...

Thank you too Phil. I've been amazed at the online support and how many of us there are! I used to think I was the only one with this problem. I think at first I'd try to see how I was different from other alcoholics. More recently its the similarities I can see. If we're on the slippery slope, there are many ways to get there but hitting the bottom feels the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home